Some people love holiday shopping; others despise it (put me down for the latter). Whichever category you fall into, I am here to help. I’ve taken the liberty of compiling a list of 20 gifts either made in Jacksonville or are Jacksonville-specific—all of which are under $20. You’ll find items for men, women, children and even dogs.
If you want to thank me, you can buy me numbers 5 and/or 11.
◀︎ 1. Bella Lina Bath products: I am obsessed with Bella Lina’s all-natural, handmade bath and body products: body frosting, soap, body cream, bath bombs, scrubs … (Ocean, Apple Mango Tango and Satsuma are personal favorite scents). They also carry men’s products like shaving & shampoo bars bar and soap made with Veterans United beer!
2. A subscription to Jacksonville Magazine
◀︎ 3. CeLOBEbrities earrings: Offerings on the etsy store include everyone from Kim Kardashian to Bernie Sanders (pictured is Ryan Gosling), but they do custom orders. FYI, I own two pairs: one “off the rack” (Crazy Eyes from Orange Is the New Black) and one custom (Mister Rogers). It’s only a matter of time before I order a pair of my cats: Fonzie Ann in one ear and Puddy in the other.
4. CDs from local musicians: Or better yet: download individual songs and make a compilation (I’ll be posting my “mix-tape” suggestions soon.) Some of my personal faves include Flagship Romance, JacksonVegas, SUNBEARS!, Canary in the Coalmine and, of course, J. Dash.
◀︎ 5. Sally Ann Slouchie Beanie: Bad hair day? No problem. Need your roots done? Handled. Lost your brush ? Sally Ann has got you covered (at least your head) with these one-of-a-kind, upcycled handmade slouchy beanies. I don’t have one yet … yet.
6. A charitable donation in the giftee’s name: $20 might not sound like a lot, but to local, grassroots charities, like Bosom Buddies, The Old Dog House, Character Counts! and Stronger Than Stigma, every penny counts.
7. Locally-brewed beer: Pick up a four- or six-pack (depending on the beer) from Bold City (personal fave: Killer Whale), Intuition (PF: King Street Stout) and Veterans United (PF: Raging Blonde Ale). Even better: mix it up with some from each—and drink the rest.
◀︎ 8. Wrinkled Is the new Black t-shirt: Can you think of a more perfect gift for the person who hates to iron and loves OITNB? Yep, well, that was pretty much my inspiration when I came up with the idea for it. Available in men’s and women’s sizes. Orange only because duh.
9. Local artwork: There are a gazillion places to find it (ArtWalk, CoRk Arts District, Riverside Arts Market and practically every locally-owned coffee shop in town)—and a gazillion reasons to buy it.
10. Chef Kenny’s Spice Blend or House Hot Sauce: Top Chef alum and winner of Cutthroat Kitchen Kenny Gilbert created his own line of spices to help you “Cook Like the Big Dogs” with flavors including cinnamon coffee rub, Moroccan spice, raging Cajun and jerk spice. And your spicy food-loving friends will get a real kick out of Gilbert’s Underground house hot sauce.
20 Jax gifts for under $20: Part two